Sunday, January 10, 2016

Last Year: July 2015

July.
Summer Camp and Iceland

A friend suggested we go to adult summer camp for 4th of July weekend.... It was BRILLIANT. I never went to camp like that as a kid, so I don't know the real thing, but this seemed to come damn close. Had a great time.











video


As a kid, I'd read about the midnight sun. It was always in the back of my mind to see it myself one day. On a whim, back in June, I looked up cheap flights to Iceland and went to Reykjavik for the weekend. (Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't just a whim, for a week Iceland Air wrapped advertising around the trains I take every morning, that probably jumpstarted my travel plans....I'm so weak and impressionable!) So booked the tickets and a place in a downtown hostel on a Wednesday  and flew out that Friday. Best decision ever! I had a blast. Midnight sun did not disappoint. It's spectacular. Everything stays open 'til 2am because it never gets dark. I don't think I slept much that weekend because I was out the entire time.

Highlights: the blue lagoon, the food (a foodie's paradise!), the people (friendly, outgoing, engaging, active), the men (seemed like they were all tall, slim and blue eyed .... honestly, it was like a phenomenon, I had never seen that many people with blue eyes concentrated in one area - hell, even their horses have blue eyes! I joked to one guy that with so many blond/blue eyed Icelanders, Hitler should have been trying to build his master aryan race there, rather then in Germany and the guy said Hitler had actually considered it, but decided the Icelanders weren't fair enough...Hmmm.)..... Anyway, I couldn't do everything in a weekend, so I'll be back for camping, trekking, ATV safari, and later in the year the Northern Lights. Iceland is beautiful!






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...