Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Buhle Mkhize and Mad About Fashion

 

A few weeks ago, I was walking in Greenwich Village reeling from one of the most uncomfortable meet-ups ever (but that’s another story…) when I saw a woman dressed to the nines and, as the queens would say, “hair did and face beat to da gods, hunty!” She was radiant. It brought a much needed smile to my face, so as I walked by I told her she looked beautiful. She beamed back at me and said, “Thank you so much!  Actually, can I ask a favor? I’m a fashion blogger and I’m waiting for a friend to photograph me, but she’s late. Would you mind taking a few pictures of me with my phone cam?”  I laughed inside because I know a little something about the awkwardness of getting someone to photograph you for your blog… Plus it was freezing out and her jumpsuit was sleeveless so it made sense that she just wanted to hurry up and get back inside. So I took her pics, we chatted a bit and realized we had lots in common so we exchanged numbers and promised to keep in touch.  

Last Sunday, we met up for brunch and spent hours laughing, feasting, exchanging life stories, talking about our passions…  She’s cool people.  And it turns out she’s famous in South Africa!  So there.  From just offering a compliment to a stranger on the street, I not only made a new friend, but met a celebrity.  :-) Her name is Buhle.  Her fashion blog is called Mad AboutFashion.  She’s smart, funny, sweet, open-hearted, generous and she's living her dream.  Love being around people like that! (This whole encounter reminded me of the fast friendship that grew between a group of us who worked on Orange Is The New Black last summer. One of them created a great hashtag for it: #NoNewFriendsIsForWackAssIntroverts :-)  Indeed. New friendships are blessings and I'm grateful!)


p.s. Buhle and I decided to do the 30 Day Bikram Yoga Challenge together.  We started this week. So please send us both encouraging vibes for the next few weeks as we SWEAT-IT-OUT!  mille mercis  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...