Monday, February 24, 2014

Let me tell you a story...

falling into bed giddy after my travelogue monologue tonight! (wearing the DAT t-shirt that i got for performing.

Something amazing happened to me tonight.

All my life, I've considered myself a wretched storyteller: too longwinded, linger on unimportant details, forget important things, jump around, make unintelligible references, then always mess up the endings.  I'm confusing and irritating - and worst of all: not funny.  That's what I told myself my whole life!  But this year, I dared myself to, rather than just go to The Moth every few months, actually put my name in the hat and, hopefully, get to go up on stage and tell a story.

So when, a few weeks ago, DAT asked if I'd like to tell a story at their Travelogue event, I said hell yeah.  It seemed like perfect preparation for The Moth.  Too great of a coincidence for me to turn down.

So tonight, I did it.  AND. I. ROCKED.  I'm still grinning from ear to ear.  I told the story of the time I accidentally stayed overnight in brothel in Mombasa (Kenya).  I wasn't sure if it'd come across as funny, scary, and wild as it had really felt.  I feared I'd get nervous and freeze or lose the crowd.  But the opposite happened and that's what was amazing.  I was funny!  I was entertaining!  The crowd (about 50 people) was with me throughout - uproarious applause and many compliments after I finished.  (And I didn't invite any friends to this event - just in case I turned out to be awful - no need for witnesses to that shame... So these were all strangers who didn't have to be nice to me!) A writer who was in the audience even asked me about using my story!  I was floored.  All that negative nonsense I'd told myself all my life about not being good at this... And here I had done it - well!  What else have I brainwashed myself into thinking I can't do?...

I hope somebody video'd it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...