Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cuba on the brain

FSCN1448TRINIDAD, CUBATRINIDAD, CUBATRINIDAD, CUBALA BOCA, CUBALA BOCA, CUBA
LA BOCA, CUBALA BOCA, CUBALA BOCA, CUBALA BOCA, CUBADSCN1429DSCN1428
DSCN1427DSCN1426DSCN1425FSCN1452DSCN1424TRINIDAD, CUBA
TRINIDAD, CUBATRINIDAD, CUBATRINIDAD, CUBATRINIDAD, CUBADSCN1405DSCN1402
Cuba November 2011, a set on Flickr.  click link to view more photos.
Sooooooooo, thanks to Jay-Z & Beyoncé's trip to Cuba last week, people are suddenly asking about my trip to Cuba. In November of 2011, I backpacked across the eastern part of the island hitting Havana, Santiago, Trinidad and Baracoa. It was was the trip of a lifetime! Cuba defies all American perceptions. It's a beautiful and SAFE island of highly educated people who are very open and aware of the rest of the world. I have to remind people of that sometimes because there's an assumption here it's a "third world country". Nonsense! The medical and education systems in Cuba are the highest rated in the Americas... But I digress. The point is it's a must-see place and should be on everyone's bucket list before US capitalism overruns it with Walmarts, McDonalds, Starbucks et al.

One thing I'd like to mention about that trip:  I always backpack alone and I've always been proud of that.  I think I meet more people that way and it eliminates the friction of having to argue with a travel partner about what to do when...  If, for example, I want to spend the day at the beach and skip all cultural activities, it's cool.  I never felt lonely.  But this was the first time that I wished someone'd been there with me the whole way.  Don't get me wrong, I had a GREAT time, but for the first time ever I kinda yearned to share that extraordinary journey with someone.  I learned that even a loner like me, needs a companion...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...