Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mentors - Get One!

Mentor c/o Rediff

Whew.  Been a minute since I've posted.  All I can say is that I've fallen in love with an incredible man* and the giddiness has distracted me!  

Now, I'm back and I want to talk about what it means to have a mentor.  As actors, we live and practice our profession in little bubbles of self-centeredness interrupted by the odd class and/or gig.  That internal focus is important to our development and understanding of others, it also serves the inner shyness many of us have.  I recently learned the power of reaching out to another actor for career guidance.  I needed new monologues and rather than doing my usual internet troll, I decided to ask an actor friend who I greatly admire to give me a couple of recommendations.  And, boy, did he come through!  Yeah, that seems like a simple thing, but we actors actually don't reach out to each other enough.  Too often we toil alone and only come out to compete.  This was my lesson.  Having a trusted guide in the trenches with you is a great confidence booster.  Now, it's my turn to pay it forward.  Community spirit!

*Guess what?  It's the guy who I thought had rejected me back in October!  ...life always surprises...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...