Monday, March 29, 2010

Gig: S/He

Last week I performed in a staged reading of a new play called "S/He" by Nick Mwaluko.  Great cast and great producers - Mixed Phoenix.  Getting this part was a huge success for me because I was invited to audition for a supporting character, but I really wanted a shot at the lead.  The director reluctantly gave me a chance so I poured myself into preparation for the audition.  Then, stupidly, I got my wisdom teeth removed two hours before the audition.  (What was I thinking?)  I really thought the numbness would subside in time.  Of course, it didn't but there was only one shot at the audition, so, totally numb from the nose down and bleeding, I went anyway and delivered my performance in the voice of Elmer Fudd.  Shockingly, I got it!  Lesson:  Show up and give everything you've got; talent shines through all obstacles.
Anyway, the play is an edgy piece about a transgender woman transitioning from female to male.  The writing is raw, confrontational, and touching.  Nick Mwaluko is in the Public Theater's Emerging Writers Group.  Wish him much success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...