Monday, August 17, 2009

Education: I Passed!


To complete my bachelor's degree, I needed 63 credits - 21 classes. Because I work full-time and need my evenings and weekends free for acting jobs, I chose an online degree program. City University of New York (CUNY) had the best price and full accreditation through their reputable colleges. They offer only 2 degrees in the online program: Business Admin. and Communication. Neither was really what I wanted, but Communication was closest to the path I'd started 11 years ago (study of languages with concentration in French and German). So I applied and got excited. My advisor suggested starting with only 1 or 2 classes, so that I could get used to online learning. I prepared for an easy summer. Then I booked the Ecuador gig which coincided with the first 4 weeks of the 10 week summer semester. No big deal, I thought. How hard could online classes be, anyway? Ha! My professors advised me to drop both classes saying I'd never catch up . Indeed I found myself drowning in school work when I got back (homework, research, complicated scientific reading assignments, discussion boards to post on and keep up with, a 20 page paper to write, 8 exams to take, and mathematical labs). But I did it!!!! Finished both classes with a B!

For fall semester I'm taking 5 classes. It'll be a lot of work, but I've got to make it. CUNY has the one theater degree that I think is most practical and they are the only school in the U.S. with it: Master of Arts in Applied Theater. This is the study of using theater in non-art situations. I believe in that. I think art cannot only exist for art's sake. Theater is powerful and can be used as a tool for academic an cultural learning, mediation, anger management, negotiation, diplomacy, corporate culture development... because it teaches empathy and listening. Anyway, I want to get into that program next fall, if I don't, I'll have to wait another year. So I'll have to complete the BA in Communication by next year's summer semester. It's going to be a busy year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...